The WiCAN bridge connects the physical CAN-bus via a 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi radio network. Such a network runs at layer-2 level consist of multiple bridges in order to join two or more CAN-bus segments to each other. Additionally these devices can operate in TCP/IP mode. This allows for bridging of two devices over existing network infrastructure using an encrypted TCP tunnel.
- Wireless bridge for CAN-bus data
- Operates as CANopen® device with device monitoring & configuration and SYNC regeneration
- Transparent for J1939 or other 29-bit CAN applications
- Transparent for CAN-FD
- Supports up to 8 clients in the wireless domain in Layer-2 mode
- Supports encrypted point-to-point link in TCP/IP mode
- Configuration via CANopen or using PC application via (internal) micro-USB port
- Internal button activates radio association; if no 'coordinator' is found, then it becomes the coordinator. Otherwise it pairs when the found coordinator.
- Possibility for branding or custom firmware with specific behavior
Network functions (via our gateway)
- Stream status & power level via JSON
- View status directly via HTML, no cloud needed
- Node-ID assigned via serial number
- Remote configuration & firmware update
Each of the bridge devices contains a CANopen implementation for the purpose of settings and monitoring of the remote CAN-bus segment. This function can be disabled for non-CANopen applications.
- 802.11b/g/n protocol (Wi-Fi)
- Globally approved 2.4GHz ISM band
- CANopen® interface profile wireless transmission (CiA 457 + custom)
- Large FIFO buffers allow for buffering of bursts on either side
- Separate priority FIFO helps in preserving timing of messages with ID ≤ 0x100
- Supports LSS node-ID assignment and Fastscan (CiA 305)
- Supports automatic bit-rate detection between 10kbps and 1Mbps (CiA 801)
- Up-to-date EDS file generated by and downloadable from the device
- Supports firmware update via wired or wireless CAN interface as well as via micro-USB
- Supports power management & monitoring features (CiA 302-9 + custom for monitoring of bus voltage, input current, CPU voltage and CPU temperature)
- Supports custom heartbeat messages, using additional bytes for status
- Bus powered Um 12-36VDC, power <1W
- 5-pin spring-contact termination for CAN, power and shield
- Ground and shield individually terminated to enclosure/earth via 1nF/500Vrms capacitors
- Aluminium IP65 enclosure 64x58mm, height 35mm
- Integrated mounting flanges (94mm wide), optionally without flanges
- M16 brass cable gland entry in side
- Dual RP-SMA antenna connections provide diversity in station mode
- Optional with 5-pole industrial M12 plug connection
- ATEX intrinsic safety 'ic' (IEC 60079-11), increased safety 'nA' (IEC 60079-15), and dust ignition protection 'tc' (IEC 60079-31)
Plug & Play configuration
Out of the box, the device is configured to switch to OPERATIONAL state autonomously. Wifi mode is set to L2-automatic; this means that it will start with trying to connect as station with an existing WICAN access-point. If it cannot, then it will switch mode and become a WICAN access-point itself. Their bit-rate is preset to 250kbps. The automatic bit-rate detection kicks in when bus errors occur before any valid messages have been received. After listening for all known bit-rates with no success, it reverts to the preset value and stays there.
- Bit-rate predefined to 250kbps
- Automatic switch to NMT state OPERATIONAL
- All defaults can be changed using SDO or LSS configuration
Wireless performance & limitations
Connecting CANopen devices over a wireless link strips some of the reliability and ruggedness features of the CAN bus protocol. Additionally, there are bandwidth limitations that are less easily defined than with a wire-line approach.
Use of more than 2 bridge devices in a network results in multicast transmissions, which decreases effective bandwidth proportionally to the number of bridges. When the wire-line feed bit-rate and message rate exceed the available RF bandwidth, increased message latency may occur and ultimately message loss.
|No products yet, please email for your inquiries...|